Soooo ... Batman ... hmm

Batman Miniatures Game – Ok so I've painted a few of these crews for a client and really liked the models, in fact I like them so much that I started doing so research into the game and feeling out what models I would like for my own collection. Of course then they released a Suicide Squad box set based on the film and I jumped in. The character design from the movie was really unique and fits my tastes better than some of the more outlandish traditional batman villain costumes.


While I'm waiting for the box set and rules I've picked up a few MDF buildings and free agent models for characters I'm a fan of like Lobo. I'm not sure I'll be able to wrangle up a regular opponent for this game but I'm thinking a nice table set-up and few crews will be enough to scratch that itch. Worst case I start dragging it down to the gamestore like I did Malifaux.


Reading List - Going Batty

Comics – As a kid I liked Batman (and most of the Super Friends). Not so much the comic books but all the other media (TV, Movies, Toys) as a pop culture icon he was my jam. When I was younger there were very few Batman comics that caught my interest. Back then I didn't care for the aritists and DC books in general weren't my style. I was more into Marvel and would occansionally pick up a book from the other guys if the cover looked interesting (Lobo was the exception I bought anything he was I guess I fit the demographic). 

Fast forward to now and my interest in Batman has come back around. My kids love him and they play with all the imaginext toys, dress up and even had me buy pinewood derby kits so they could make a batmobile. We watch the new movie and even though it was slow and super dark I liked it. The Christopher Nolan trilogy and the Arkham video games moved Batman into something that felt more real to me and suddenly the asthethic is more appealing. Couple that with the miniature that passed buy my desk and I got bats in my belfry.

Of course like any sensible person I then went to the library website and reserved EVERYTHING that I felt I had missed out on because of my bias toward DC. That meant I reread Death in the Family. That was really a terrible story that doesn't hold up to todays standards. I forgot the big draw was the 1-900 number to call to vote on Jason Todd's fate. Otherwise it was very much a Desert Storm influenced book that had some weird tangents.

Most of the tie-in books for the Arkham games were really good. The asthetic for that is pretty amazing and the stories are great.

I read the two volume Warcrimes story arc and was blown away. Those stories read like a high action police drama and I couldn't put them down. This is the way I think Batman needs to be written.

Some of the other books I picked up were stinkers, Batman Incorporated, Batman International, Haunted Gotham Arkham Origins none of them felt that good and some were just outright bad. The idea of a chose your own adventure is great just not my thing right now.

You can follow along with my reading list through the good reads shelf on the margin of this page. Next up is Red Hood and the Outlaws. I'm curious to see if Jason Todd is any more tolerable after resurection. Also I have a Green Arrow book, Justice League Dark (I loved Ghost Rider and the Midnight Sons, curious to see what DC's version is like) and two runs of Suicide Squad. I'm glad my wife is such a big proponent of the library as I would have never bought these books to read on a whim but checking them out is totatly worth it.



Walk like an Egyptian ... Arena Rex WIP

Arena Rex – I painted Romans and Rhinos, now it's time for another Roman, Rhino and a gaggle of Egyptians. Once thing that was a big improvement on these ones is all the weapons were metal so I wasn't having to sort out bending a resin whip or worrying about the shafts bending/breaking.

The models went together easily enough considering they are resin and incredibly fine. I based these with the same sand mixture as the previous Romans and then primed using a gray primer. 

The skin for these is Cadian Fleshtone with the cloth being picked out in Screaming Skull and MacCragge Blue. I then applied some washes to bring out the details and then went back in to paint the highlights.



Skaven Salvage

Warhammer Fantasy/Age of Sigmar – I love having really great game stores in my area. The place I regularly play at has been doing a great job sending commission work my way. So when they needed a favor I was happy to help them out. Apparently they pick up random armies from people looking to get out of the hobby or to change games on a regular basis. Usually they can turn these around pretty quickly but sometimes they get a stinker.

One such deal happened to find it's way to my table. Essentially it was a fairly decent size Skaven force with a few large pieces painted to a decent standard. The rest of it was partially assembled, broken or missing parts. In order to move this they asked me to paint them up to an economy standard. I don't do this often because honestly if you're paying to have things painted why not go for the best you can afford.

This economy level consits of three colors of paint and a quick wash. For the rats I think it turned out rather well and they look great from a few feet away as you would typically see on the tabletop.

If you like these models check them out at RIW Hobbies in Livonia MI.




Dropping In - Drop Pods Complete

Warhammer 40,000 – I wrapped up the first four drop pods for my Ultramarine client. These are nice a simple tabletop quality. When he picked these up he dropped off another pod and a few landspeeder storms so it looks like I won't be putting away the blue paint anytime soon!

My recipe for painting ultramarines is Macragee Blue base, Metallic Gunmetal, Drakenfiled Blue Wash and then highlight with Macragee Blue. If I was taking these to the next leve there would be another lighter blue highlight to really make them pop.